So, for the agencies working hard to sell to small and medium sized businesses, here are some facts to sprinkle into the next sales pitch:
- While overall Ad spending was down 15% in 2009, mobile marketing spending grew 62% to 2.6 billion USD (AdAge, JPMorgan 2009)
- Of that 2.6b USD spent on mobile marketing, 2.3b was spent on text messaging (JPMorgan)
- From June 2005 to June 2009, monthly SMS’s sent jumped from 7.5b to 135billion. Annualized, that’s 1.36 trillion messages per year. (CTIA 2009)
- On average, Americans send and receive twice as many text messages as phone calls per month (Nielson Mobile)
- American teens (ages 13 – 17) sent and received an average of 1742 text messages per month in Q2 2008. (Nielson Mobile)
- Text message usage among people in their 40s jumped from 56% to 64% (Vlingo 2009)
- The number of mobile data users who recalled seeing advertising jumped 38%, from 42 million to 58 million, between Q2 and Q4 2007 (Nielson Mobile).
- 51% of mobile data subscribers who saw an ad responded to it by sending a text-message, clicking on it, or calling a specific number. (Nielson Mobile).